Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Jew Hating" T-Shirt

It was brought to my attention that L.A. based streetwear line, Freshjive, has come under fire for a few of their more controversial designs. The design at the center of this controversy is below. The image is of three, armed, Palestinian, child soldiers with a stylized version of the word "victimized" underneath.
I rarely discuss my political views on this blog (catch me in person, and you may get an earful), but I had to put you up on this one. Here's the deal; Any child forced to fight or affected by war(regardless of its' premise), is a victim. This design, is in no way, glorifying their role or belittling the opposition. The message behind this design is the advocacy of peace. As a matter of fact, Freshjive also has a design with the Star of David motif and "Peace in the Middle East" message, is that "Palestinian hating"?
Kudos to Freshjive owner and designer Rick Klotz for designing what and how the fuck he wants. You can read his remarks here. Also, BUY THE SHIRT!! I think Urban Outfitters is stocking it now.
Randi Astrid

No comments: